Sunday, 15 July 2012

Tit for Tat reporting

Tit for Tat reporting

What is the news in this country? Seriously? What does it amount to? During the troubles we had tit for tat murder and retaliation by bomb and gun and countless other forms of violence. Groups of people justified doing what they were doing with the knowledge that the other side were doing it too, but of course the other side was always worse weren’t they.

I have been looking closely at the news in peacetime and I have noticed that it really isn’t any different in terms of sectarianism. I mean I am very happy that people are not being murdered on the same scale as they used to be. Sectarianism however is often very vague. You don’t need to be directly calling someone a derogatory name to be sectarian, simply pointing out the wrongs of people who are opposed to your stand point is, I believe, an act of a sectarian nature.

Principles...

If you keep an eye on both the News Letter and The Irish News you will begin to see, over time, a tit for tat vaguely sectarian game being played. Each community tells you about their own respective good points while demonising the other side. I doubt they will admit to this though,it is much easier to get away with discrediting others when it is done in peacetime because everyone is too busy believing they are all civilised.

I thought briefly about posting up some examples because I was urged to write this piece by several events that have occurred in the last two weeks. I believe however it would be better if you started looking at this tit for tat reporting for yourself over an extended period of time and you will get a true sense of how this country is still running very much on sectarian undertones.

The fact that seemingly well meaning people are harbouring this type of veiled intolerance is a sign that the fundamental reasons for our tribal behaviour are still firmly stuck at the core of this/our society.

I am not voicing an opinion. I am merely observing and speaking what I observe.

150712

No comments:

Post a Comment